19 October 2011

On commence...

Mesdames, monsieurs, merci d'être venus! I'm back, in France that is, and back to blogging away my adventures of food, traveling, and co-habitating with the French.

Speaking of habitation, I'm living at the same address as last year with the same woman, Gisele, who funnily enough, is coming the States to visit New York in about a week and will be staying with my parents for ten days. I have a new roommate Ofelia from Mexico City, and my old roomie Gabby is just across the street in an apartment she shares with her boyfriend. C'est pas beau la vie?

My projects this year include more of a focus towards a career in the realm of urban agriculture and the local and organic food movement if when I return home next year, this means, (hopefully) more WWOOFing, cooking (read: photos of food), and apprenticeships with bakers, cheese makers, and the likes. Very exciting stuff.

I have the same job as an English teaching assistant at the SAME high school as last year, Lycée Bellevue. Last year I had applied to renew my contract, but as it is more uncommon than not to be accepted for a second year, and even more rare to be placed in the same school, I did not have high hopes. Apparently, a British guy decided in September he didn't want to job so my colleagues rallied to try to have me replace him. It worked needless to say and I'm back and very happy to be.

I'm so thrilled to be back in my charming European life, and only slightly miss the creature comforts of life in America like a car to take to the grocery store when it's pouring rain like it is today, amped-up Axe and Old Spice commercials that guarantee teenage boys smell like they showered at least in the past week, and refrigerated milk. However, always the optimist, I have so far shopped exclusively at my beloved outdoor markets (where the brothers who sold me produce last year recognized me and welcomed me back, toute suite!), cruised my new bike all over town, reunited with old friends, and had unparalleled wine and cheese (everyday).

That's all for now. Expect more very soon!

À bientôt.

No comments:

Post a Comment