19 March 2012

Millefeuille

I went to the Prefecture last week, before  my parents arrived, to pick up my visa. I had gone the week before, naively thinking that when they told me at the end of my interview in December that all that was left was to pick it up, meant just that, I was therefore not mentally prepared for the 3 hour wait and did the standard, walk in and walk back out.

I went back today with a book and when I approached information to ask the woman exactly where I needed to go, she told me to read a sign that I could see from where I was standing. I politely said that I came to information to ask her to explain what steps I needed to take. She told me to walk over and read the sign to answer my qestion then to come back tomorrow because the office that I needed was closed, although the hours were posted until 3pm, and it was not yet 1:30. I pointed this out, and she again told me to read the sign. I (furiously) walked over, came back, and told her I still did not unterstand, which was true. I even threw in a, "I work for the state too" card, no dice. She said; if you had read the sign you would have seen their are too many people today, so we aren't accpeting any other applications. WHY could she have not just said this in the first place? WHY?

Walking out (for then a second time), I noticed I've taken to muttering French expletives, not a good sign. Its now no small wonder to me why fonctionnaires are constantly verbally 'agressed' by french citizens, they are miserable humans who dont do their jobs competently. They cannot get fired which is really a shame for everyone involved - not just for me the customer, but really for them too. Someone should put them out of their misery, then maybe they'd be forced to do something really degrading.

Thank god the French have redeeming qualities, like their pastries. I got on my bike and headed to a new bakery I hadn't yet tried.

As always in the name of research for my Dad's visit, I give you the millefeuille:



Follow-up: The Friday before my parents arrived I returned, waited a quick 3 hours, and FINALLY picked up my titre de sejour, which expires in 2 months. The woman who handed it over was by far the nicest one I've encountered there and as she slid it over the counter to me, smiled in an understanding way that seemed to say, 'I know what you had to go though to get this'. Does she really though??


My Dad and I with the fruits of all my hard research

A bientôt.
Linz

No comments:

Post a Comment