02 May 2012

Paris, Je t'aime.

Last Friday I went up to Paris for the ninth time in my life. I fall more and more in love with that place everytime I go.

OK, so any restaurant, no matter how high or low you look will cost you an arm and a leg, the people can be snooty, at best, and a coffee costs double what it would in any other city in France,

But, but...it's Paris. And the museums are free, and there are La Duree macaroons, and you're sure to pass at least a dozen fabulous buildings and bridges lit up strolling anyrwhere night, and you can't shake the feeling like you're walking around in a film.

I saw Davinci at the Louvre (so good I went back a second time), Degas at the Musée d'Orsay, Matisse at the Centre Pompidou and Rodin at the Musée Rodin.

I discovered a new neigborhood, the quartier St. Martin by the canal it's named after. I found designer outlets and the city's best bakery.

Le Canal St Martin
I saw an increidbly cool animation inside the courtyard of Les Invalides, reminiscent of the Fête des Lumières earlier this winter in Lyon that retold the story of the building throughout the revolutions.

Jardin Luxembourg
The Jardin de Luxembourg was in it's full spring splendor.

I ate veal and duck and drank wine.

I stayed one night with Marissa, then Helen and her cousin Nick, I saw Gaby my roommate from last year, Nes the girl I stayed with before flying out of Paris last June, and even my cousins Jake and Charlie who were there on a school trip.

Bref: 'twas fabulous.




l'Hotel de Ville at sunset

La Place des Vosges
Canal St Martin


Lock of the Canal St Martin

Best bakery in Paris (!!)

Temptation

Camille Claudel's l'Implorante

Musée Rodin


One of Paris's bridges by night



One of the many libraries

Paris at sunset

4 comments:

  1. Camille Claudel has such a fascinating story. Rodin had her institutionalized for over forty years for manic depression- which actually may have only been female temperment. Then, it was discovered he had inscribed his name on several of her sculptures. I'm so glad you saw a large scale sculpture correctly attributed to her! So jealous! GB, Britt

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't recall the museums being free the last time I was there last summer. Is this a new development?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Lauren! Yes all permanent exhibits are free with a European visa: Pompidou, Rodin, Orsay, Orangerie, and the Louvre. The temporary exhibits are I think around 10 euros for the Pompidou and Louvre but also FREE at the Orsay!

    Britt, Yes I love Claudel, I have a book on her here in Toulouse, so interesting and tragic. The Théâtre de la Garonne also did a piece on her not long ago. L'implorante was just mesmerizing. As always, thanks for reading! Bisous!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah yes, free for European residents...still sucks for tourists though! At least most of the "expensive" museums here in NY are suggested admission...not so in gay Paree!

    ReplyDelete